I first blogged about All of Nothing getting a face lift last week, or was it the week before? I’m not sure, but you can look here, if you’d like to read the initial post. I said I was going to go over what I’m going to do to breathe a little life into the book.
The first thing I did is redo the cover. It went from this:
I would say that’s an improvement. I don’t have the proof yet, and I suppose writing a blog post about the cover without the proof seems to be a bit too forward thinking, but that’s okay. I can post it when I get it. I know the title doesn’t seem to be centered, but uploading it into KDP Print proved to be one over-correction after another. The title may very well be too much to the left, but what’s what the proof is for.
At any rate, covers can go through a lot of revisions and just all around bad ideas before an epiphany is realized and you think of what you wanted to do all along, or you stumble upon the perfect couple at 2am when you shouldn’t have been awake anyway.
The first cover I came up with looked like this:
No one liked it. I put it on the Indie Book Cover FB group for feedback and while no one had anything BAD to say, no one liked it, either, and everyone agreed to take out A NOVEL at the bottom. I think I came up with a nice tagline to put in its place.
It left me a bit stymied because it has a grittier feel than what I had before, and gritty and kind of mean, more alpha, bad boy,
asshole was what I was going for.
But I’m glad I posted it and listened to the feedback because one poster said she bought a premade using the same guy. She even gave me the name of the site. It’s a closed group, so out of respect I won’t post the cover, but I’ll give you the website and you can take a peek yourself if you want to see the cover she bought.
I played around with it some, putting into play some of the advice I received from the group; doing something different with the tint, but overall, I guess I felt it wasn’t doing what I wanted it to do after all, I gave up for a little while.
That wasn’t even all that bad . . . but that’s okay. Trying out new things until you stumble upon something else that could be better is part of the creative process.
Going through DepositPhotos one day I came across this couple:
A lot of what goes through my head when I look at photos is, what is the steam level? That was one of the things I was aiming to up on this cover: fully clothed models weren’t depicting what my books were about. Where can I put my the title? Where can I put my name? With my limited skills, what can I do to it to make it stand out? This is important because my skills are LIMITED. I can only do so much in GIMP, and I need to know if the picture is decent as is, and if it’s not, what needs to change? A cluttered background? Can I get rid of that zooming in? The color? How real are the models. Do they look too model-y, or too human? A nice medium is what I shoot for. I probably looked at this couple while looking for others and I passed them by. Until almost a fully-formed cover with these two popped into my head, and I was able to create almost a perfect cover in half a hour.
I used what little skills I have in GIMP to fade the top and the bottom and using a few tips I learned from my friend Aila’s blog post about Canva, I was able to make the rest there.
Next week I’ll take you through how I rewrote the blurb and my process for doing it!
Plus, on Monday, I’m doing an author interview with my friend, Tom, whom I met at the Sell More Books Show Summit! His debut book will be live Monday, and I’m so happy to be part of his launch! Look for an awesome interview with him, and a $25 Amazon ecard giveaway, too!
Thanks for reading, and I hope you’re enjoying your week! I haven’t made much progress on my 3rd book in my series, as these days off this week just have flown by (plus the weather is gorgeous and I’ve been spending time outside!) but I still plan to have it done by the weekend. 12-15,000 words left. We will see! Wish me luck. 🙂
I like the update. Trying to figure out the right cover is hard and I don’t even make mine myself. My skills are like way WAY basic. LOL Good luck going back to KU. I have to do another write up about my round 2 with them.
I know I didn’t give wide a chance, but it is what it is. Probably if you stick with anything long enough you’ll see results. Now that I decided to stick with one thing, it will be interesting to see where I’ll be this time next year. Sipping daiquiris on my yacht! hahahaha! just kidding. being able to pay my rent would be nice. 🙂 I’m looking forward to your update as well!
Thank you for sharing your process. I find creating book covers (namely finding the photos) to be a huge pain in the butt. I hope the new cover gives you and the readers what they want.
I’m hoping the cover is more on point and will draw some eyes. Thanks for reading!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Love the new version of the cover. They pop out of the dark background and brings to focus to them. Can’t wait to read your updated blurb!
I make my own covers when I’m not paying my cover guy to do them for me because he did my series rebranding and it’s what readers remember now. So in a way, I’m stuck which is a good thing because otherwise, I’d be all over the place.
Yep, that’s what I’m finding too. The more books I publish, the more of a “look” my covers are having. Not a bad thing! I’ve always been impressed with your covers!
Pingback: Mid-August Check-in and What I’ve Been Doing | Vania Margene Rheault